Saturday, June 9, 2012

Cookie time



Ready with some lemon icing!


About to go in the oven..


It's saturday today and that means I have time to do fun stuff in the kitchen. Weekends are lovely because I usually have time to cook and try out new things. I really felt like cookies today so I whipped up some of these real quick!

These cookies are only sweetened with honey and are made from almonds. They smell like gingerbread cookies. I whiz up almonds in my blender to make my own almond meal. I made some lemon icing from coconut oil, honey and lemon juice to put on top. You just have to wait for the cookies to cool down before putting on the icing. I debated whether to make chocolate icing using raw cacao powder instead of lemon. But lemon won today. It will be chocolate's turn next time:)

I didn't know what to call these. Almond cookies? Spice cookies? Anyways, here is the recipe for super yummy cookies:

1 cup almonds
1 tbls flax seeds
2 tbls butter or coconut oil
2-3 tbls honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnammon
1 tsp ginger
1/2  tsp cardomon
1/2  tsp cloves
1/2 tsp baking soda

Blend almonds and flaxseeds into a fine powder. You can leave it more coarse if you want a more nutty dough. Add rest of ingredients and mix with hands so that the butter becomes soft and it all forms a sticky dough. Roll into small balls and press flat onto baking sheet. Wet your hands if the dough is sticking to your fingers too much. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye of them as they brown quickly!

 Makes about 16 cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment