Saturday, March 17, 2012

Banana Bread made with almonds

I made banana bread twice this week and even put a few pieces into the freezer for a nice surprise some day when we want something yummy. I had a lovely friend over and so I made one loaf to share with her with a cup of tea and then yesterday I decided to make another loaf because, well, just because I wanted to! And you would never guess this recipe is grain free, the texture is just wonderful and like real banana bread. I'll also post another banana bread recipe that I recently tried with soaked spelt flour. We just love banana bread and so it's fun coming up with healthy options that don't have white flour, refined sugar and other things our bodies don't really like:)
This banana bread recipe is based on Teressa Cutter's recipe. She runs The Healthy Chef cafe in Avalon which is our favourite cafe to go to! I made a few of my own adjustments to this recipe. Coconut oil is my fav for cooking as it can stand high heats in cooking and so I use it in this recipe. Also I just love coconut oil! Cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil does amazing things for your health. I use it in smoothies and on my skin and hair too. I'm a big fan of getting lots of good quality healthy fats into our diet.
Usually I make this without any added sugar and then put some raw honey on top once its out of the oven. Today I had some rapadura sugar on hand and thought i'd make it a special sweet version this time. It's so yummy with some butter on top.

2 cups ground almonds
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
3 bananas
1/4 cup rapadura sugar
2 tbls coconut oil
1tbls lemon juice + 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda

I blend the whole almonds in my blender with the flax seeds into a fine consistency which is super easy. You can also use almond meal. Put into a bowl and add cinnamon.
Mix the bananas, eggs, rapadura and coconut oil together. I do this in my blender too so it is nice and smooth. Then add the lemon juice+bicarb soda to the banana mixture. I do this at the last minute because the lemon juice activates the bicarb.
Mix banana mixture into ground almonds and flax seeds. Pour into a bread loaf tin thingy (or whatever you call it) that has been oiled with coconut oil and sprinkled with almond meal. I bake mine in the oven for about 45mins- 1 hour and check with a fork when it's done. If it starts to brown on the top I put some foil over it.
Take out of the oven and wait until it has cooled down a bit then tip out of tin.




No comments:

Post a Comment